Hello lovelies, hope you all are doing great out there? I know I’ve not been consistent with blogging, please pardon me; been having a lot to deal with. I’ve kept this post in my memo for couple of days now, so I’m just gonna post it right here.
Being an hijabi or tuban/scarf sister whether you are a Muslim or Christian, isn’t quite an easy one especially when you are keeping natural hair. Your hair will require more care due to the lack of air while covering up. I’ve come up with 10 different ways you can take care of your hair while putting on your hijabs/turbans/scarves.
WAYS TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR HAIR WHILE PUTTING ON SCARVES.
- USE NATURAL FABRIC SCARVES– Natural fabrics such as cotton,silk and chiffon are great materials for scarves. Artificial fabrics such as nylon will cause friction with your hair which will lead to breakage & development of split ends. If you do want to use a scarf made from artificial fabrics, ensure to protect your hair first with a cotton or silk material as an under scarf.
- DO NOT COVER YOUR WET HAIR- If you are going to use a DIY leave in conditioner or washing your hair before going out, ensure that your hair dry or rather blow-dry it before covering. Damp/wet hair leads to dandruff, breakage and split ends. You can skip the DIY leave in and just apply butters and oil instead.
- DO NOT TIE YOUR HAIR TOO TIGHT– Considering your hair is covered up for many hours, it is important to make sure you do not tighten your scarve to your hair. Tieing your hair to tight to the scarf will cause strain on the scalp as well as weaken your hair strands caising hair to break or fall. Wearing an under cap to keep your hair & edges safe is allowed.
- LET YOUR HAIR DOWN WHEN YOU GET HOME- Covering your hair in scarf or hijab all day makes it hard for your hair to breathe. Ensure to loose your scarf/hijab when you get home to allow air circulation through the scalp. Run your fingers through your hair to release the built up tension from being under scarves all day long.
- SUNLIGHT– Vitamin D is essential for hair growth. So just because you cover up your hair doesn’t mean you should ignore the sun. It’s not possible to sit directly under the sun, by opening up the curtains in your home and sitting down in the sunniest part of the house for 30 minutes a week is fine.
- INCREASE INTAKE OF WATER, PROTEINS & VITAMINS – It’s extremely important to fulfill your daily nutritional requirement. Increase your water intake, eat clean & healthy. And take vitamins supplement. Add vegetables, fruits, nuts in your diet. Avoid sugar, carbs, fast food, junks & sodas.
- WASH YOUR SCARVES/UNDER SCARVES REGULARLY- It’s important to wash your scarves and under scarves regulary since that’s what our hair & scalp are glued to all day. Dandruffs and dust can build up in them, so wash up those scarves/ under scarves well.
- TRIM YOUR HAIR– Trimming every 4-6 weeks is highly recommended for all hair types to get rid of split ends.
- TREAT YOUR HAIR– Treat your hair well by deep conditioning every month. Use eggs, mayonnaise, aloe-vera, Apple cider vinegar or Henna to condition your hair as it would increase growth & make the hair stronger.
- MAINTAIN GENERAL HAIR CARE- Just because you cover up doesn’t stop you from maintaining your hair with your skincare routine. Make sure to comb your hair and apply your hair treatments to your regimen at least every weekend. It’s preferable to keep your hair in protective styles (cornrows, weavings, braids, faux etc.) In order to keep your hair growing and strong.
I hope you all find this post useful.
With Love ❤❤❤